Surgical Salvage Improves Survival in Metastatic Oropharyngeal Cancer
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Improved overall survival (OS) was found to be associated with surgical salvage in patients with recurrent locoregional and distant metastatic oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OPSCC), independent of human papillomavirus (HPV) tumor status, according to an article published online in the journal Cancer.
Participants in the study included patients with recurrent OPSCC from two institutions from 2000 to 2012. Immunohistochemistry and/or in situ hybridization were used to evaluate the status of each patient’s tumor. Kaplan-Meier and Cox proportional hazards methods were used to evaluate OS.
The majority of patients (80 out of 108) were HPV-positive, 65 of the patients had locoregional metastatic first recurrences and 43 had distant metastatic first recurrences. HPV-positive tumor status was found to be related to a longer time to disease recurrence (P<0.01). Several factors have an independent association with OS after disease recurrence: HPV-positive tumor status (aHR = 0.23; 95% CI: 0.09, 0.58;P=0.002), longer time to disease recurrence (≥1 year; aHR = 0.36; 95% CI: 0.18, 0.74; P=0.006), and surgical salvage (aHR = 0.26; 95% CI: 0.12, 0.61; P=0.002). Furthermore, researchers found an independent association between surgical salvage and improved OS compared with nonsurgical treatment among patients with both locoregional (aHR = 0.15; 95% CI: 0.04, 0.56; P=0.005) and distant (aHR = 0.19; 95% CI: 0.05, 0.75; P=0.018) metastatic disease recurrences.
The study suggests that further data be obtained to confirm the impact of surgical salvage on OS among patients with distant metastases.
Improved overall survival found to be associated with surgical salvage in metastatic oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.
Surgical salvage was found to be associated with improved OS for patients with recurrent locoregional and distant metastatic OPSCC, independent of HPV tumor status.
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- The Challenges of Immunotherapy Re-challenge in Metastatic Melanoma
- FDA Approves Fulvestrant/Abemaciclib Combination for Breast Cancer
- Beta-blockers May Prevent Stress-induced Lung Cancer Treatment Resistance
- Can Targeting Inflammatory Microenvironments Improve Cancer Therapy Effectiveness?
- NSCLC: Tissue, Rather Than Liquid, Biopsy Recommended for Identifying Resistance Mechanisms
- Adjuvant Trastuzumab for HER2-positive Breast Cancer: 1-year Is Optimal Therapy Duration
- Metformin May Not Improve pCR Rate in HER2-positive Breast Cancer
- Pembrolizumab May Benefit Selected Patients With Incurable Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Overexpression of CKAP4 Linked With Poor Prognosis in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- FDA Expands Sunitinib Indication To Include Adjuvant Therapy for Renal Cell Carcinoma