Elevated Serum Amylase and/or Serum Lipase
Pancreatic carcinoma is associated with a very short life span following diagnosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Acute pancreatitis is the most common of the disorders listed.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to assess alcohol intake and triglyceride levels are useful.
Most common causes include alcohol abuse and gallstones.
Less common causes include hypertriglyceridemia, infections, and trauma to pancreas.
Bentiromide test is a noninvasive test to assess pancreatic function in chronic pancreatitis, based on the hydrolysis by chymotrypsin of an orally administered synthetic peptide.
CA 19-9 may be useful to monitor response to therapy in patients with pancreatic cancer, but it is not specific to pancreatic cancer.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Do Oral Contraceptives Actually Increase Breast Cancer Risk?
- Pancreatitis and the Risk of Cancer
- FDA Approves Olaparib for BRCA-Positive Breast Cancer
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy With Cytoreductive Surgery Prolongs OS in Gastric Cancer
- RAMIE May Improve Post-operative Outcomes Among Patients With Esophageal Cancer
- Pembrolizumab May Be Effective for Previously Treated Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- Cabozantinib May Improve Survival Outcomes in Relapsed Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- PEGPH20 Plus mFOLFIRINOX Worsens OS Among Patients With Pancreatic Cancer
- Gemcitabine Plus S-1 May Be Non-inferior to Standard Therapy for Biliary Tract Cancer
- Renal Cell Carcinoma: Cost of Treatment May Negate Impact of Treatment Advances