Elevated Serum Amylase and/or Serum Lipase
Pancreatic carcinoma is associated with a very short life span following diagnosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Acute pancreatitis is the most common of the disorders listed.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to assess alcohol intake and triglyceride levels are useful.
Most common causes include alcohol abuse and gallstones.
Less common causes include hypertriglyceridemia, infections, and trauma to pancreas.
Bentiromide test is a noninvasive test to assess pancreatic function in chronic pancreatitis, based on the hydrolysis by chymotrypsin of an orally administered synthetic peptide.
CA 19-9 may be useful to monitor response to therapy in patients with pancreatic cancer, but it is not specific to pancreatic cancer.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Coffee and Cancer
- Upfront Next-Generation Sequencing Is Faster, More Cost Effective in Metastatic NSCLC
- In Melanoma, Older Adults Could Benefit More From Treatment With PD-1 Inhibitors
- Pembrolizumab FDA-Approved for the Treatment of Advanced Cervical Cancer
- Understanding Telomerase: Higher Quality Images Give Insight Into Developing New Agents for Inhibition
- High Tissue Tumor Mutational Burden May Be Predictive of Improved Immunotherapy Efficacy
- Adding Oxaliplatin to Capecitabine-Based Chemotherapy, Radiation May Not Improve Survival in Rectal Cancer
- Liquid Biopsies and Cancer Detection: New Test Assesses Levels of Circulating Proteins for Early-Stage Diagnosis
- Vigorous Exercise Improved Life Expectancy for Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancers
- R-THP-COP a New Therapeutic Alternative for Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma