Elevated Serum Calcium
Excess parathyroid hormone (PTH) secretion from a single parathyroid adenoma, hyperplasia of the parathyroids, parathyroid carcinoma
Especially tumors of the breast, lung, and kidney in which hypercalcemia may occur from direct bony metastasis
Multiple myeloma that directly degrades bone
Other cancers that produce hypercalcemia by inducing PTH secretion
Excess vitamin D intake
Prolonged use of diuretics and thiazides known to produce hypercalcemia
Severe hypercalcemia favors a diagnosis of cancer.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Hypercalcemia from malignancy is especially common.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
In primary hyperparathyroidism, serum PTH is increased and serum phosphorus is decreased.
In hypercalcemia of malignancy, serum phosphorus is decreased in approximately 50% of patients, and there is a decrease in the serum PTH in these patients.
Serum protein electrophoresis is useful in the assessment for multiple myeloma. Serum 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D is low in hypercalcemia of malignancy. It is often increased in primary hyperparathyroidism.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Long-term Survival From Ipilimumab/Nivolumab Combination in Metastatic Melanoma
- Questions Remain for First-line Treatment Selection and Sequencing in Advanced Melanoma
- Repeat T790M Testing Recommended for TKI-resistant Patients With NSCLC
- Ginkgo Biloba and Cancer
- Initial Therapy at Academic Centers Linked to Prolonged Overall Survival in NSCLC
- Curative-intent Surgery for Cancer Increases Risk of New Persistent Opioid-use
- HIV-associated Head and Neck Cancers Have Unique Molecular Characteristics
- Pembrolizumab Significantly Prolongs OS Compared With Chemotherapy in NSCLC
- Cost, Insurance Status May Affect Patient Adherence to TKI Therapy for CML
- Affordable Care Act Linked to Lower Rates of Cancer Diagnosis Among Uninsured