Increased PTT Only: A Prolonged PTT with a Normal PT
Heparin in the specimen, which may be a result of heparin treatment of the patient
Treatment with low molecular weight heparin, argatroban, or lepirudin
A lupus anticoagulant (i.e., lupus inhibitor)
Deficiency of factor VIII (hemophilia A) or IX (hemophilia B)
Deficiency of factor VIII (mild or severe) associated with von Willebrand's disease
Deficiency of factor XI, XII, or prekallikrein (Fletcher factor)
An inhibitor to factor VIII or IX
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
If heparin contamination in the sample is a possibility, ask for a repeat PTT or, if necessary, get a heparin measurement.
To help differentiate between coagulation inhibitors and factor deficiencies, perform PTT mixing studies (patient plasma plus normal plasma in equal volumes).
A patient positive for the lupus anticoagulant should have at least one positive lupus anticoagulant screening test and at least one positive confirmatory test that involves detection of phospholipid neutralization by the lupus anticoagulant.
Factor assays for factors VIII, IX, XI XII, and, in rare circumstances, an assay for prekallikrein (Fletcher factor) can determine if a deficiency in one or more of these factors explains the prolonged PTT.
Bethesda Unit assay is used to quantitate the amount of antibody to factor VIII in a patient with a PTT mixing study result suggestive of a factor VIII inhibitor. An evaluation for von Willebrand includes factor VIII, von Willebrand factor, and ristocetin cofactor. The factor VIII in von Willebrand patients may not be low enough to prolong the PTT.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- High Red Meat Intake and Cancer
- Complete Resection of Metastatic Soft Tissue Sarcoma Associated With Improved Disease-specific Survival
- The Role of Anti-PD-1 Immunotherapy in Advanced Triple-negative Breast Cancer
- The Challenges of Immunotherapy Re-challenge in Metastatic Melanoma
- FDA Approves Fulvestrant/Abemaciclib Combination for Breast Cancer
- FDA Expands Sunitinib Indication To Include Adjuvant Therapy for Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Ultrasonography May Detect Thyroid Cancer Growth Arrest, Negating Need for Treatment
- Does Education Level Predict PSA Screening and Prostate Cancer Survival?
- Unrelated HSCT, UCBT May Yield Similar Survival Outcomes in Acute Leukemia
- Minimal Residual Disease and Patient Genotype May Inform Relapse Risk Algorithms in ALL