Generic Name and Formulations:
Mitotane 500mg; scored tabs.
Indications for LYSODREN:
Inoperable adrenal cortical carcinoma.
2–6g/day in divided doses (3–4 times/day). Doses may be increased incrementally to achieve a blood concentration of 14–20mg/L, or as tolerated. Dose modifications: see full labeling.
Discontinue temporarily following shock or severe trauma. CNS toxicity (esp. with high doses). Adrenal insufficiency: give steroid replacement as clinically indicated; measure free cortisol and ACTH levels. Ovarian macrocysts in premenopausal women. Hepatic impairment. Pregnancy; avoid. Use effective contraception during and after discontinuation until mitotane levels are undetectable. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Adrenal cytotoxic agent.
Concomitant oral anticoagulants, CYP3A4 substrates; monitor for change in dose requirements.
Anorexia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, dizziness, vertigo, rash, neutropenia, growth retardation, hypothyroidism, confusion, headache, ataxia, mental impairment, weakness, dysarthria, maculopathy, hepatitis, elevated liver enzymes, gynecomastia, hypercholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Duvelisib Delayed Progression in CLL/SLL: Study
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Immune-Related Adverse Events Due to Checkpoint Inhibition Are More Common in Melanoma Than in NSCLC
- Potential Diagnostic Tool Detects BCR-ABL1 mRNA in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- BTK Inhibitor Zanubrutinib Appears Promising in Waldenström Macroglobulinemia
- Carfilzomib Regimens Offer a Neuropathy-Sparing Approach in Multiple Myeloma, WM
- Apalutamide Does Not Diminish Quality of Life in Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer