Multiple Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma Raises Risk of Recurrence, Metastasis
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Patients with multiple cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas (CSCCs), especially those with 10 or more, have an elevated risk of local recurrence (LR) and nodal metastases (NM) compared to those with one CSCC, according to an article published online in the journal JAMA Dermatology.
The authors of this study analyzed electronic medical records of patients diagnosed with dermally invasive (non-in situ) primary CSCC between January 1, 2000, and December 31, 2009. The medical records were used to determine Brigham and Women’s Hospital tumor stage and outcomes such as LR, NM, and death due to CSCC.
A total of 985 patients were evaluated: 727 with 1 CSCC, 239 with 2 to 9 CSCCs, and 19 with 10 or more CSCCs. Most patients with 10 or more CSCCs (15 out of 19; 78.9%) were determined to be immunosuppressed.
Compared to patients with one CSCC, those with more than one had an increased risk of LR (subhazard ratio for 2-9 CSCCs, 1.8; 95% CI: 1.1, 4.3; and for ≥10 CSCCs, 3.8; 95% CI: 1.4, 10.0) and NM (subhazard ratio for 2-9 CSCCs, 3.0; 95% CI: 1.4, 6.5; and for ≥10 CSCCs, 4.2; 95% CI: 1.4, 10.4).
Patients with 10 or more CSCCs had a significantly higher 10-year cumulative incidence of LR and NM (LR, 36.8%; 95% CI: 19.2%, 59.0%; and NM, 26.3%; 95% CI: 11.8%, 48.8%) compared to the patients with two to nine CSCCs ( LR, 6.7%; 95% CI: 4.2%, 10.6%; and NM, 5.9%; 95% CI: 3.5%, 9.6%) and 1 CSCC (LR, 3.0%; 95% CI: 2.0%, 4.5%; and NM, 2.3%; 95% CI: 1.5%, 3.8%).
Patients with multiple cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas have elevated risk of local recurrence and nodal metastases.
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- The Challenges of Immunotherapy Re-challenge in Metastatic Melanoma
- FDA Approves Fulvestrant/Abemaciclib Combination for Breast Cancer
- Beta-blockers May Prevent Stress-induced Lung Cancer Treatment Resistance
- Exercise May Mitigate Doxorubicin-related Cardiotoxicity
- FDA Expands Sunitinib Indication To Include Adjuvant Therapy for Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Ultrasonography May Detect Thyroid Cancer Growth Arrest, Negating Need for Treatment
- Does Education Level Predict PSA Screening and Prostate Cancer Survival?
- Unrelated HSCT, UCBT May Yield Similar Survival Outcomes in Acute Leukemia
- Minimal Residual Disease and Patient Genotype May Inform Relapse Risk Algorithms in ALL