Generic Name and Formulations:
Valrubicin 40mg/mL; soln for intravesical instillation after dilution; contains 50% polyoxyl castor oil/50% dehydrated alcohol; preservative-free.
Indications for VALSTAR:
Intravesical therapy of BCG-refractory carcinoma in situ (CIS) of the urinary bladder in patients for whom immediate cystectomy would be associated with unacceptable morbidity or mortality.
Drain bladder before instilliation. 800mg given intravesically via urethral catheter once weekly for 6 weeks. Retain drug for 2 hours before voiding, then void.
Concurrent UTI. Small bladder capacity (eg, unable to tolerate a 75mL instillation).
Monitor for disease recurrence or progression with cystoscopy, biopsy, and urine cytology every 3 months; if there is not a complete response of CIS to treatment after 3 months or if CIS recurs, cystectomy must be reconsidered. Severe irritable bladder symptoms. Perforated bladder. Bladder mucosa compromised. Delay administration for at least 2 weeks after transurethral resection and/or fulguration. Maintain adequate hydration. Pregnancy (Cat. C); avoid, both males and females should use effective birth control. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Bladder symptoms (eg, urinary frequency, dysuria, urinary urgency, spasm, hematuria, pain, incontinence, cystitis, nocturia, local burning, urethral pain, pelvic pain, UTI).
Single-use vials—4, 24
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Duvelisib Delayed Progression in CLL/SLL: Study
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Immune-Related Adverse Events Due to Checkpoint Inhibition Are More Common in Melanoma Than in NSCLC
- Potential Diagnostic Tool Detects BCR-ABL1 mRNA in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- BTK Inhibitor Zanubrutinib Appears Promising in Waldenström Macroglobulinemia
- Carfilzomib Regimens Offer a Neuropathy-Sparing Approach in Multiple Myeloma, WM
- Apalutamide Does Not Diminish Quality of Life in Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer