Generic Name and Formulations:
Pioglitazone (as HCl) 15mg, 30mg, 45mg; tabs.
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
Indications for ACTOS:
Adjunct to diet and exercise in type 2 diabetes, as monotherapy or in combination with metformin, insulin, or a sulfonylurea. Limitations of use: not for treating type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis.
≥18yrs: Without CHF: initially 15mg or 30mg once daily; max 45mg once daily. With CHF (NYHA Class I or II): initially 15mg once daily. Concomitant insulin or sulfonylurea: reduce dose of these if needed. Concomitant strong CYP2C8 inhibitors: max 15mg daily.
<18yrs: not recommended.
NYHA Class III or IV heart failure.
Congestive heart failure.
Symptomatic HF: not recommended. Monitor for signs/symptoms of CHF; discontinue or reduce dose if occurs. Hepatic disease. Monitor liver function before initiating therapy; if abnormalities detected, interrupt and assess probable cause; do not restart if ALT >3XULN with total bilirubin >2XULN. Routine monitoring LFTs during therapy without liver disease: not recommended. Active bladder cancer: not recommended. Prior history of bladder cancer: consider glycemic control benefits vs. risk of cancer recurrence. Risk of fractures (esp. females). Perform regular eye exams. Resumption of premenopausal ovulation in anovulatory patients may occur (may result in unintended pregnancy). Pregnancy (Cat.C): consider using insulin instead. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by CYP2C8 inhibitors (eg, gemfibrozil). Antagonized by CYP2C8 inducers (eg, rifampin) or topiramate (monitor for adequate glycemic control). Antagonizes oral contraceptives, midazolam. Monitor for heart failure with insulin.
Upper respiratory tract infection, headache, sinusitis, pharyngitis, myalgia, edema, weight gain, hypoglycemia, dyspnea; changes in serum lipids (may be beneficial), macular edema.
Tabs—30, 90, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Ketogenic Diet as an Adjunct to Cancer Treatment
- Patient-Reported Outcomes in Oncology Expected to Make Regulatory Waves
- Blinatumomab-Ponatinib Salvage Therapy in B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: Case Report of Benefit
- FDA Provides Update on Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
- Nivolumab-Ipilimumab Survival Benefit in Advanced RCC Confirmed
- Two-Drug Combination Superior to Sunitinib in Patients With Untreated Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Adding Chemotherapy to Radiation Post-Radical Cystectomy Improves Survival in Urothelial Carcinoma
- Radiation, Chemotherapy Not Beneficial in Localized Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma
- Radical Cystectomy Superior to Trimodal Therapy for Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer