Generic Name and Formulations:
Albendazole 200mg; tabs.
Impax Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for ALBENZA:
Parenchymal neurocysticercosis from active lesions due to Taenia solium (pork tapeworm). Cystic hydatid disease of the liver, lung, and peritoneum due to Echinococcus granulosus (dog tapeworm).
Adults and Children:
See literature. Take with meals. Neurocysticercosis: Give for 8–30 days. Hydatid: Give for 28-day cycle followed by a 14-day free interval, for a total of 3 cycles. <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs (<60kg): 15mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses; max 800mg/day. ≥6yrs (≥60kg): 400mg twice a day.
Examine for retinal lesions first. Monitor blood and hepatic function at beginning of each 28-day cycle and at least every 2 weeks; discontinue if significant increased liver enzymes or if decreases in blood counts occur. Neurocysticercosis: may need corticosteroids during the 1st week of therapy and anticonvulsants. Pregnancy (Cat.C): obtain (–) pregnancy test first. Avoid pregnancy during or for at least 1 month after stopping; discontinue if pregnancy occurs. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by dexamethasone, praziquantel, cimetidine. Monitor theophylline.
Abnormal liver function test, abdominal pain, GI upset, headache, dizziness, increased intracranial pressure, meningeal signs, reversible alopecia, fever; rarely: leukopenia, rash, acute renal failure, hematological reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Ketogenic Diet as an Adjunct to Cancer Treatment
- Patient-Reported Outcomes in Oncology Expected to Make Regulatory Waves
- Blinatumomab-Ponatinib Salvage Therapy in B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: Case Report of Benefit
- FDA Provides Update on Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
- Nivolumab-Ipilimumab Survival Benefit in Advanced RCC Confirmed
- Two-Drug Combination Superior to Sunitinib in Patients With Untreated Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Adding Chemotherapy to Radiation Post-Radical Cystectomy Improves Survival in Urothelial Carcinoma
- Radiation, Chemotherapy Not Beneficial in Localized Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma
- Radical Cystectomy Superior to Trimodal Therapy for Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer