Amoxicillin Capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amoxicillin (as trihydrate) 250mg, 500mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Amoxicillin Capsules:
Susceptible infections including ear/nose/throat (ENT), genitourinary tract, skin and skin structures, lower respiratory, acute uncomplicated gonorrhea.
ENT, genitourinary, or skin: 250mg every 8hrs. Severe, less susceptible, or lower respiratory infections: 500mg every 8hrs. Gonorrhea: 3g once. Renal impairment: glomerular filtration rate (GFR) 10–30mL/min: 250mg or 500mg every 12hrs; GFR <10mL/min or hemodialysis: 250mg or 500mg every 24hrs (give additional dose during and at end of dialysis).
≥40kg: as adult. ≤3 months: max 30mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses every 12hrs. >3 months (<40kg): ENT, genitourinary, skin: 20mg/kg per day in 3 divided doses every 8hrs. Severe, less susceptible, or lower respiratory infections: 40mg/kg per day in 3 divided doses every 8hrs. Gonorrhea: <2yrs: not recommended; prepubertal: amoxicillin 50mg/kg + probenecid 25mg/kg as a single dose.
Cephalosporin, imipenem or other allergy: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Serum levels increased by probenecid.
GI upset, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, urticaria, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, anaphylaxis), hyperactivity, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Amoxil, Trimox, Ultimox, Wymox (caps, susp), Polymox (susp).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Confronting Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Survival Outcomes
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma