Generic Name and Formulations:
Interferon beta-1a 30mcg per prefilled syringe (albumin-free liq) or per vial [pwd for reconstitution (preservative-free, contains albumin)]; or per prefilled autoinjector (albumin-free liq); for IM inj.
Indications for AVONEX:
Treatment of relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis to slow the accumulation of physical disability and decrease the frequency of clinical exacerbations in patients with first clinical episode and MRI consistent with MS.
Pre-medicate with analgesics and/or antipyretics on treatment days to ameliorate flu-like symptoms. Rotate inj sites. ≥18yrs: 30mcg IM once weekly. May titrate dose to reduce severity of flu-like symptoms; dosed once weekly, IM: Week 1: 7.5mcg. Week 2: 15mcg. Week 3: 22.5mcg. Week 4: 30mcg.
<18yrs: not established.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of hepatic injury. Depression. Suicidal ideation. Seizure disorders. Pre-existing CHF: monitor for worsening cardiac function at initiation and during treatment. Risk of thrombotic microangiopathy; discontinue if occurs. Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs, differential, platelets, blood chemistries, liver and thyroid function. Consider discontinuing if new autoimmune disorder develops. Pregnancy (Cat.C; may be abortifacient). Nursing mothers.
Risk of hepatic injury with concomitant hepatotoxic drugs or alcohol.
Flu-like symptoms, asthenia, headache, myalgia, fever, chills, GI upset, depression, blood dyscrasias, seizures; rare: hepatic injury, anaphylaxis (discontinue if occurs).
Register pregnant patients exposed to Avonex by calling (800) 456-2255.
Single-use prefilled syringes (0.5mL) dose pack—1 (4 syringes, supplies); Single-use vial dose pack—1 (4 vials, diluent, supplies); Single-use prefilled autoinjector (0.5mL) dose pack—1 (4 autoinjectors, supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Beyond BRCA: New Predisposition Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers
- Finding Clinical Trials in Cancer
- Adding Nintedanib Did Not Improve Survival in Lung Cancer Subtype
- The Identification of a Potential Early Plasma Biomarker for Kidney Cancer
- Pembrolizumab Plus Chemotherapy Extended Survival Longer Than Chemotherapy Alone: Study
- Combining Chemotherapy With Checkpoint Inhibitors Extends Overall Survival in ES-SCLC
- In a Head-to-Head Battle, Brigatinib Appears to Best Crizotinib