Generic Name and Formulations:
Olmesartan medoxomil 5mg, 20mg, 40mg; tabs.
Indications for BENICAR:
Individualize. ≥16yrs: Monotherapy, not volume-depleted: initially 20mg once daily; may increase to max 40mg once daily after 2 weeks. Volume-depleted (eg, concomitant diuretic): consider lower initial dose.
Individualize. <1yr: do not give. <6yrs: not recommended. 6–16yrs: (20kg to <35kg): initially 10mg once daily; may increase to max 20mg once daily after 2 weeks; (≥35kg): initially 20mg once daily; may increase to max 40mg once daily after 2 weeks. Tabs may be prepared as an oral suspension if unable to swallow: see full labeling.
Concomitant aliskiren in patients with diabetes.
Drugs that act on the renin-angiotensin system can cause injury and death to the developing fetus.
Fetal toxicity may develop; discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Correct salt/volume depletion before initiating therapy, or monitor closely. Renal impairment: monitor for worsening renal function. Severe CHF. Renal artery stenosis. Monitor serum electrolytes periodically. Possibly less effective in black patients. Elderly. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D); monitor. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB).
See Contraindications. May be antagonized by, and renal toxicity potentiated by NSAIDs, including selective COX-2 inhibitors; monitor renal function periodically in elderly and/or volume-depleted. Dual inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system with ARBs, ACEIs or aliskiren may increase risk of hypotension, hyperkalemia, renal function changes; monitor closely. Avoid concomitant aliskiren in renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min). Take at least 4hrs before colesevelam HCl dose. May increase lithium levels; monitor.
Dizziness, possible sprue-like enteropathy, renal dysfunction, hyperkalemia, rhabdomyolysis (rare).
Tabs 5mg—30; 20mg, 40mg—30, 90
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Study Zeroes in on Cause of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Higher Doses of Image-Guided Neoadjuvant Radiation Therapy Found to Be Safe in Locally Advanced NSCLC: Study
- Supply Shortages of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Found to Spur Drug Rationing in Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Epacadostat and Pembrolizumab Combo Active in Relapsed NSCLC
- PD-1 Inhibitor Cemiplimab Shows Antitumor Activity in Relapsed NSCLC