Generic Name and Formulations:
Benztropine mesylate 0.5mg, 1mg, 2mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Benztropine:
Adjunct in Parkinsonism, drug-induced extrapyramidal disorders.
Parkinsonism: initially 0.5–1mg at bedtime. May increase by 0.5mg at 5–6 day intervals; max 6mg daily. Extrapyramidal disorders: 1–4mg 1–2 times daily. Acute dystonic reactions: 1–2mg IM or IV.
See Contraindications. Use cautiously in older children.
Children <3yrs old.
Tardive dyskinesia: not recommended. Narrow-angle glaucoma. Tachycardia. Psychosis. Prostatic hypertrophy. GI or GU obstruction. Chronically ill. Alcoholics. CNS disease. Exposure to extreme heat. Elderly. Pregnancy.
Paralytic ileus, hyperthermia, heat stroke with phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants. Antagonizes psychotropics.
Anticholinergic and antihistaminic effects, weakness, confusion, anhidrosis, excitement, GI upset, depression, lethargy, heat stroke, dysuria, toxic psychosis, rash.
Tabs formerly known under the brand name Cogentin.
Tabs—contact supplier; Amps—(5 x 2mL)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma