BICILLIN L-A Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Penicillin G benzathine 600,000 units/mL; susp for deep IM inj; contains parabens.
Indications for BICILLIN L-A:
Susceptible infections, including mild to moderate upper respiratory strep infections, syphilis. Follow-up prophylaxis of rheumatic heart disease, acute glomerulonephritis.
Give by deep IM inj into upper outer quadrant of buttock; rotate inj sites. Upper respiratory Group A strep: 1.2 million units once. Syphilis (primary, secondary, latent): 2.4 million units once; (tertiary and neurosyphilis): 2.4 million units every 7 days for 3 doses. Rheumatic heart disease, acute glomerulonephritis: 1.2 million units once per month, or 600,000 units every 2 weeks.
Give by deep IM inj into upper outer quadrant of buttock or midlateral thigh; rotate inj sites. Upper respiratory Group A strep (<60 lbs): 300,000 to 600,000 units once; (>60 lbs): 900,000 units once. Congenital syphilis (<2yrs): 50,000 units/kg once; (≥2yrs): individualize.
Avoid intraarterial, intravascular, or intraneural injection.
Not for IV use. Do not admix with other IV solutions. Reports of inadvertent IV administration has been associated with cardiorespiratory arrest and death.
Not for IV use. Cephalosporin, imipenem, or other allergy: not recommended. Asthma. Monitor renal and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest.
Rash, serum sickness, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, neuropathy, nephropathy, inj site reactions.
Tubex 600,000 or 1.2 million units/syr (1 mL, 2 mL)—10 (w. 1 or 1.25 inch needles); Disposable syringe 2.4million units/syr (4 mL)—10 (w. 2 inch needles)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Beyond BRCA: New Predisposition Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers
- Finding Clinical Trials in Cancer
- Adding Nintedanib Did Not Improve Survival in Lung Cancer Subtype
- The Identification of a Potential Early Plasma Biomarker for Kidney Cancer
- Pembrolizumab Plus Chemotherapy Extended Survival Longer Than Chemotherapy Alone: Study
- Combining Chemotherapy With Checkpoint Inhibitors Extends Overall Survival in ES-SCLC
- In a Head-to-Head Battle, Brigatinib Appears to Best Crizotinib