How to Approach Patients With Metastatic Breast Cancer for Research Biopsies
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
There are significant variations in medical oncologist (MO) comfort levels in approaching patients with metastatic breast cancer (MBC) for research purpose-only biopsies (RPOBs), according to a study published online in the journal The Oncologist.
Participants in this study included 221 out of 309 (72%) breast MOs who were invited to complete a self-administered survey addressing their attitudes toward approaching patients for RPOBs or additional biopsies.
Out of the 221 responses, 30 were determined to be ineligible, leaving a total of 191 eligible MO responses. A majority of the MOs reported feeling comfortable discussing RPOBs of blood or skin with patients, while one fifth of MOs felt uncomfortable approaching patients regarding research biopsies of the breast.
Similarly, half of the MOs from National Cancer Institute-designated cancer centers reported being uncomfortable approaching patients for RPOBs of the liver.
Results also showed that a statistically significant variation was observed between MOs’ perceptions of their patients’ openness to undergo research biopsies.
Furthermore, among MOs, increased comfort approaching patients about RPOBs was associated with various factors including fewer years in practice, caring for patients who had undergone recent RPOBs, and the predicted willingness of patients to consent to biopsies; whereas, factors attributing to increased reluctance to refer patients for RPOBs were biopsy-related risk and biopsy-related pain.
The study suggests a modifiable factor in increasing tissue collection for cancer research could be MOs’ attitudes.
Significant variations in medical oncologist comfort levels in approaching patients with metastatic breast cancer for research purpose-only biopsies.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Plastics and Cancer
- Cabozantinib Shows Promising Activity in Osteosarcoma and Ewing Sarcoma
- Real-World Study Shows High Response Rates to T-VEC in Early Metastatic Melanoma
- Using ctDNA to Predict Cancer Recurrence and Guide Therapy Selection
- Atezolizumab and Nab-Paclitaxel Prolonged PFS in Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer
- Infections in Primary Immune Thrombocytopenia Associated With Low Platelet Count
- Expert Panel Provides Recommendations for Running Trials on Intratumoral Immunotherapy
- Large Acute Myeloid Leukemia Dataset Could Help Identify Targeted Treatments
- Treatment of H. pylori Increased Platelet Count in ITP
- Reclassification of Variants of Uncertain Significance: A Q&A With Theodora Ross MD, PhD