5-Year Breast Cancer Risk Predicted Similarly in 1 vs. 2 Breast Density Measures
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Two Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System (BI-RADS) density measures were found to produce similar results as a one-density model for predicting 5-year breast cancer risk in women, according to an article published online in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention.
Participants in the study included 722,654 women ranging between 35 to 74 years who completed two mammograms approximately 1.8 years apart.
The two mammograms had BI-RADS density measures and found that 13,715 of the women developed invasive breast cancer. Several factors were evaluated using Cox regression to find their relative hazards of breast cancer.
These factors included the women’s age, race/ethnicity, family history of breast cancer, breast biopsy history, and either one or two density measures.
Results showed that the two-measure density model had a slightly increased accuracy than the one-measure density model (AUC, 0.640 vs. 0.635). A specific group (15.4%) of women had their density decreased from heterogeneous or extremely dense to a lessened density with one other risk factor.
The 20,741 women had a clinically significant increase in 5-year risk with the one-measure density model compared to the two-measure density model (<1.67% to ≥1.67%, respectively).
The study suggests that a two-measure density model be considered for women whose breast density decreases when calculating breast cancer risk.
Two Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System density measures were found to produce similar results for cancer risk.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Apalutamide Does Not Diminish Quality of Life in Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Chemotherapy Plays a Role in Skeletal Muscle Atrophy in Patients With Breast Cancer
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Lenalidomide Induces Immunity, Produces Clinical Response in CLL
- Comorbidities Signal Worse Outcomes in CLL After Targeted Treatment
- Using ctDNA to Predict Cancer Recurrence and Guide Therapy Selection
- Immune-Related Adverse Events Due to Checkpoint Inhibition Are More Common in Melanoma Than in NSCLC
- Potential Diagnostic Tool Detects BCR-ABL1 mRNA in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia