Mammogram Facilities, Tumor Biology Linked to the Racial Disparity in Breast Cancer
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Screening facility resources and aggressiveness of tumors were identified as being two major factors that explain racial/ethnic disparity among patients recently screened for symptomatic breast cancer, according to an article published online in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention.
Participants in this study included patients recently diagnosed with breast cancer and analyzed regarding the probability of symptomatic awareness despite a recent screening mammogram (SADRS). Patients who did not report a recent prior screening were not included in the study analyses.
Results showed SADRS was more common among nH b P=0.0004). Furthermore, an association was identified between SADRS and estrogen and progesterone receptor (ER/PR) negative status and higher grade disease.
SADRS was less likely to be reported at centers with dedicated radiologists and site that were labeled as breast imaging centers of excellence.
Two-thirds of the racial/ethnic disparity in SADRS was explained by tumor biology and facility factors (proportion mediated=70%, P=0.02).
Screening facility resources and aggressiveness of tumors identified as being two major factors that explain racial disparity in breast cancer.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
- Clinical Applications of Liquid Biopsies in Cancer
- Two-Drug Combination Superior to Sunitinib in Patients With Untreated Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Radical Prostatectomy Compared With Watchful Waiting in Localized Prostate Cancer
- Immunotherapy in Glioblastoma: Peaks and Pits
- Treatment Guidelines in Cancer: Assessing Industry Influence on Recommendations
- American Society of Breast Surgeons Recommends Genetic Testing for All Patients With Breast Cancer
- No Benefit Seen From HSCT in Hypodiploid B-ALL
- Patients With CP-CML Deemed Less Likely to Continue Taking Generic Imatinib
- Opinion: Understanding the FDA's Take on Cannabidiol