Palbociclib Improves PFS in ER-Positive, HER2-Negative Breast Cancer
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
According to a new study published in the journal The Lancet Oncology, palbociclib significantly improved progression-free survival when combined with letrozole in patients with advanced estrogen receptor (ER)-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-negative breast cancer.
For the phase 2 study, researchers enrolled 165 patients with advanced ER-positive, HER2-negative breast cancer and randomly assigned them to receive letrozole 2.5mg orally daily with or without palbociclib 125mg orally daily for 3 weeks of each 28-day cycle.
Results showed that median progression-free survival was 20.2 months (95% CI: 13.8 - 27.5) for the combination arm and 27.9 months (95% CI: 25.5 - 31.1) for the letrozole arm (HR = 0.488; 95% CI: 0.319 - 0.748; one-sided P = 0.0004). In regard to safety, 54% of patients assigned to the palbociclib arm experienced grade 3-4 neutropenia compared with only 1% of those in the letrozole group.
In addition, 19% of those that received palbociclib experienced grade 3-4 leukopenia and 4% experienced grade 3-4 fatigue versus 0% and 1% in the letrozole alone group, respectively. No patients experienced febrile neutropenia.
Palbociclib significantly improved progression-free survival when combined with letrozole.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Real-World Study Shows High Response Rates to T-VEC in Early Metastatic Melanoma
- Plastics and Cancer
- Using ctDNA to Predict Cancer Recurrence and Guide Therapy Selection
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Emetogenic Potential of Antineoplastic Agents
- 20-Year Data Link High-Dose Chemotherapy and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant to Survival Benefit in High-Risk Early Breast Cancer
- Cabozantinib Shows Promising Activity in Osteosarcoma and Ewing Sarcoma
- Reducing Trastuzumab Duration Lowers Costs by Nearly £10,000 in HER2-positive Breast Cancer
- Resistance Mechanisms Identified for NSCLC Progression With First-Line Osimertinib
- Atezolizumab and Nab-Paclitaxel Prolonged PFS in Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer