BUPHENYL POWDER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium phenylbutyrate 940mg/gram; contains sodium 11.7g/100g of pwd.
Indications for BUPHENYL POWDER:
Adjunct in the chronic management of urea cycle disorders involving deficiencies of carbamylphosphate synthetase, ornithine transcarbamylase, or argininosuccinic acid synthetase, including neonatal-onset deficiency and late-onset disease with a history of hyperammonemic encephalopathy.
Adults and Children:
<20kg: use powder. Take in equally divided doses with each meal or feeding. Mix powder with food or liquid. <20kg: 450–600mg/kg/day. ≥20kg: 9.9–13g/m2/day. Max 20g/day.
Restrict dietary protein, may need to supplement with essential amino acids. CHF. Sodium retention with edema. Renal or hepatic insufficiency. Inborn errors of beta oxidation. Monitor serum levels of phenylbutyrate and metabolites, phenylacetate and phenylacetylglutamine. Plasma levels of ammonia, arginine, branched-chain amino acids, serum proteins: maintain within normal levels; plasma glutamine: maintain at <1000μmol/L. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by probenecid. Corticosteroids may increase plasma ammonia levels. Hyperammonemia possible with haloperidol and valproic acid.
Amenorrhea/menstrual dysfunction, acidosis, hypoalbuminemia, anemia, alkalosis, hyperchloremia, hypophosphatemia, increased alkaline phosphatase, increased liver transaminases, leukopenia, leukocytosis, decreased appetite, body odor, bad taste, taste aversion, others.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma