Generic Name and Formulations:
Butalbital 50mg, acetaminophen 325mg, caffeine 40mg; tabs; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
- Acetaminophen May Decrease Opioid Use After Head and Neck Cancer Surgery
- FDA Approves Avelumab for Urothelial Carcinoma
- Rapid Rituximab Administration Safe for Primary CNS Lymphoma
- Migraine and Headache Treatments
- Narcotic Analgesic Medications
- Potentially Inappropriate Drugs for the Elderly (Beers List)
Indications for Butalbital/Acetaminophen/Caffeine:
Tension (or muscle contraction) headache.
1–2 tabs or caps every 4hrs as needed; max 6 daily.
Drug abusers. Severe hepatic or renal impairment (monitor). Acute abdominal conditions. Discontinue if serious skin rash or hypersensitivity reactions occur. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Barbiturate + analgesic.
May potentiate effects of alcohol, general anesthetics, tranquilizers, sedative-hypnotics, or other CNS depressants or narcotic analgesics; avoid. MAOIs may enhance CNS effects of butalbital. May cause false (+) urine test for 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid.
Drowsiness, lightheadedness, dizziness, sedation, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, intoxicated feeling; hepatotoxicity (APAP doses >4g/day); rare: serious skin reactions, hypersensitivity.
Formerly known under the brand name Esgic.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Beyond BRCA: New Predisposition Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers
- Finding Clinical Trials in Cancer
- Adding Nintedanib Did Not Improve Survival in Lung Cancer Subtype
- The Identification of a Potential Early Plasma Biomarker for Kidney Cancer
- Pembrolizumab Plus Chemotherapy Extended Survival Longer Than Chemotherapy Alone: Study
- Combining Chemotherapy With Checkpoint Inhibitors Extends Overall Survival in ES-SCLC
- In a Head-to-Head Battle, Brigatinib Appears to Best Crizotinib