Calcitriol Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcitriol 1mcg/mL; soln for IV inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Calcitriol Injection:
Hypocalcemia in patients on chronic renal dialysis. Secondary hyperparathyroidism.
≥13yrs: Initially 1–2mcg (0.02mcg/kg) 3 times weekly (approx. every other day); usual range: 0.5–4mcg 3 times weekly. May increase by 0.5–1mcg at 2–4 week intervals. Adjust dose based on PTH levels: see full labeling.
<13yrs: not recommended.
Hypercalcemia. Vit. D toxicity.
Avoid concurrent Vit. D therapy. Maintain adequate calcium intake. Keep serum calcium times phosphate (Ca x P) product below 70. Monitor serum calcium and phosphorus twice weekly at start of therapy, and during dose adjustment. Monitor magnesium, alkaline phosphatase, parathyroid hormone levels (PTH) periodically; if PTH levels fall <1.5–3xULN, reduce calcitriol dose or discontinue. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Hypermagnesemia with magnesium-containing antacids. Arrhythmias with digitalis if hypercalcemia occurs.
Vit. D analog.
Symptoms of hypervitaminosis D, hypercalcemia, hypercalciuria, hyperphosphatemia.
Formerly known under the brand name Calcijex.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma