Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesalamine 1g; supps.
Indications for CANASA:
Mild-to-moderately active ulcerative proctitis.
Retain supp in rectum for at least 1–3hrs. 1g once daily at bedtime. Treat for 3–6 weeks.
Sulfasalazine or aspirin allergy. Renal or hepatic impairment. Evaluate renal function before starting and periodically during therapy. Monitor for acute intolerance syndrome; discontinue if suspected. May stain clothes. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant nephrotoxic agents (eg, NSAIDs) may increase risk of renal effects; monitor. Concomitant azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine may increase risk of blood disorders; if unavoidable, monitor CBCs and platelets. May interfere with measurements by liquid chromatography of urinary normetanephrine; consider other alternative assay.
Dizziness, rectal pain, fever, rash, acne, colitis, headache, flatulence, abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea; mesalamine-induced acute intolerance syndrome, hypersensitivity reactions (including myocarditis, pericarditis, pneumonitis, hematologic abnormalities), renal or hepatic failure.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Erdafitinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Urothelial Carcinoma
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma
- CLL: Venetoclax Plus Rituximab Improves 2-Year PFS
- Confronting Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Survival Outcomes
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma