CARNITOR INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Levocarnitine 200mg/mL; soln for IV bolus inj or infusion; preservative-free.
Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for CARNITOR INJECTION:
Secondary carnitine deficiency. Carnitine deficiency in end stage renal disease (ESRD) patients undergoing dialysis.
Adults and Children:
Secondary carnitine deficiency: 50mg/kg IV as slow (2–3 minutes) bolus inj or by infusion; usual max 300mg/kg. May give loading dose in severe metabolic crisis: see literature. ESRD: initially 10–20mg/kg dry body weight as slow (2–3 minutes) IV bolus inj into venous return line after each dialysis session; adjust dose based on trough levocarnitine levels.
Obtain baseline carnitine level; monitor blood chemistry, carnitine levels, vital signs, clinical condition. Seizure disorders. Renal insufficiency (oral forms). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant warfarin: monitor INR.
GI upset/pain, body odor, seizures; inj: hypercalcemia, local reactions.
Tabs—90; Oral soln—4oz; Inj amps or vials (single-dose 5mL)—5
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Opioid Prescription Protocol Decreases Opioid Use After Gynecologic Surgery
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole May Be Active in Recurrent Endometrial Carcinoma
- Affordable Care Act Increased Percentage of Insured Patients With Gynecologic Cancers
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML