Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefadroxil 500mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefadroxil:
Susceptible urinary tract, skin and skin structure infections, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, impetigo.
Uncomplicated UTI: 1–2g once daily or in 2 divided doses. Complicated UTI: 2g/day in 2 divided doses. Skin and skin structure infections: 1g once daily or in 2 divided doses. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 1g once daily or in 2 divided doses for 10 days. Renal dysfunction (CrCl <50mL/min): 1g loading dose, then 500mg at increased dosing intervals (see literature). Continue for 3 days after symptoms improve.
UTI, skin and skin structure infections: 30mg/kg/day in 2 divided doses every 12 hours. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis, impetigo: 30mg/kg once daily or in 2 divided doses for 10 days. Renal dysfunction: reduce dose (see literature). Continue for 3 days after symptoms improve.
Penicillin or other allergy. Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Impaired renal function (CrCl <50mL/min). GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest or Coomb's test.
GI upset, anaphylaxis, rash; blood dyscrasias (rare).
Formerly known under the brand names Duricef, Ultracef.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Erdafitinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Urothelial Carcinoma
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma
- CLL: Venetoclax Plus Rituximab Improves 2-Year PFS
- Confronting Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Survival Outcomes
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma