Cefpodoxime Proxetil Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefpodoxime proxetil 100mg, 200mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefpodoxime Proxetil Tablets:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections including acute otitis media, acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, acute maxillary sinusitis, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, acute community-acquired pneumonia, urinary tract, skin and skin structures; cervical, anorectal (females only) and urethral gonorrhea.
Take tabs with food. ≥13yrs: Pneumonia: 200mg every 12hrs for 14 days. Bronchitis, sinusitis: 200mg every 12hrs for 10 days. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 100mg every 12hrs for 5–10 days. Skin and skin structures: 400mg every 12hrs for 7–14 days. UTI: 100mg every 12hrs for 7 days. Uncomplicated gonorrhea: 200mg once as a single dose. Renal failure or hemodialysis: see full labeling.
Use susp. <2 months: not recommended. 2 months–12yrs: Acute otitis media: 5mg/kg (max 200mg) every 12hrs for 5 days. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 5mg/kg (max 100mg) every 12hrs for 5–10 days. Sinusitis: 5mg/kg (max 200mg) every 12hrs for 10 days.
Penicillin or other allergy. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antacids, H2 antagonists, oral anticholinergics may decrease efficacy. Potentiated by probenecid. Avoid concomitant diuretics, other nephrotoxic drugs. May cause false (+) direct Coomb's test.
GI upset, abdominal pain, headache, rash, anaphylaxis.
Formerly known under the brand name Vantin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Study Zeroes in on Cause of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Higher Doses of Image-Guided Neoadjuvant Radiation Therapy Found to Be Safe in Locally Advanced NSCLC: Study
- Supply Shortages of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Found to Spur Drug Rationing in Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Epacadostat and Pembrolizumab Combo Active in Relapsed NSCLC
- PD-1 Inhibitor Cemiplimab Shows Antitumor Activity in Relapsed NSCLC