Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefuroxime (as axetil) 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefuroxime:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections including pharyngitis/tonsillitis, acute maxillary sinusitis, chronic bronchitis, acute otitis media, uncomplicated skin and skin structure, UTIs, gonorrhea, early Lyme disease.
Swallow whole. ≥13yrs: Pharyngitis/tonsillitis, sinusitis: 250mg twice daily for 10 days. Acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, skin and skin structure infections: 250–500mg twice daily for 10 days. UTIs: 250mg twice daily for 7–10 days. Gonorrhea: 1g as a single dose. Lyme disease: 500mg twice daily for 20 days. Renal impairment: see full labeling.
Swallow whole. <13yrs: Otitis media, sinusitis: 250mg twice daily for 10 days.
Renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid; not recommended. May antagonize oral contraceptives; consider non-hormonal methods. Avoid H2-blockers, PPIs. Separate cefuroxime by ≥1hr before or 2hrs after antacids. May interfere with glucose tests.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction, vaginitis; anaphylactic reactions (discontinue if occur), C.difficile-associated diarrhea.
Formerly known under the brand name Ceftin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Beyond BRCA: New Predisposition Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers
- Despite Promising Trial Results, Skeptics Raise Red Flags About Anlotinib's Efficacy in Heavily Treated NSCLC
- Higher Risk of MGUS in Relatives of Patients With Multiple Myeloma Confirmed
- Brentuximab Vedotin Combo Active in Older Patients With Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Prostate Cancer Drug Resistance Mediated by Epigenetic Changes
- Nilotinib and Dasatinib Confer Similar Outcomes for Chronic-Phase CML