Generic Name and Formulations:
Entacapone 200mg; tabs.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for COMTAN:
Adjunct to levodopa/ carbidopa in patients with idiopathic Parkinson's disease and end-of-dose wearing off.
200mg with each dose of levodopa/carbidopa, up to 8 times daily.
Dyskinesias. Pre-existing somnolence or sleep disorders. Major psychotic disorder: not recommended. Impulse control disorders; consider dose reduction or discontinue if occurs. Perform skin exams to monitor for melanoma. Discontinue if prolonged diarrhea suspected. Hepatic impairment. Biliary obstruction. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Nonselective MAOIs: not recommended. Consider reducing levodopa dose. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Chelates iron. Cardiac effects with drugs metabolized by COMT (eg, epinephrine, isoproterenol, norepinephrine, dopamine, dobutamine, methyldopa, apomorphine, isoetherine, bitolterol). Caution with drugs that interfere with biliary excretion, glucuronidation, intestinal beta-glucuronidase (eg, probenecid, cholestyramine, erythromycin, rifampicin, ampicillin, chloramphenicol). Monitor INR with warfarin. Reduced efficacy with some antipsychotics.
Dyskinesia, nausea, urine discoloration, hyperkinesia, diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, dry mouth, back pain, dyspnea, somnolence, anxiety, sweating, purpura, asthenia, taste perversion; rarely: orthostatic hypotension, syncope, hallucinations, rhabdomyolysis, hyperpyrexia and confusion upon withdrawal.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Opioid Prescription Protocol Decreases Opioid Use After Gynecologic Surgery
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole May Be Active in Recurrent Endometrial Carcinoma
- Affordable Care Act Increased Percentage of Insured Patients With Gynecologic Cancers
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML