Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyproheptadine HCl 4mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cyproheptadine:
Allergic and vasomotor rhinitis, conjunctivitis, urticaria, angioedema, reactions to blood. Adjunct in anaphylaxis. Cold urticaria. Dermatographism.
≥14yrs: initially 4mg 3 times daily; usual range 12–16mg/day; max 0.5mg/kg per day.
<2yrs: not recommended. 2–6yrs: 2mg 2–3 times per day; max 12mg daily. 7–14yrs: 4mg 2–3 times per day; max 16mg daily.
MAOIs. Glaucoma. GI or urinary obstruction. Elderly. Debilitated. Neonates. Premature infants. Nursing mothers.
Hyperthyroidism. Cardiovascular disease. Hypertension. Increased intraocular pressure. History of asthma. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
See Contraindications. Anticholinergic effects potentiated by MAOIs. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants.
Drowsiness, dizziness, paradoxical excitement, anticholinergic effects, gastritis, hypotension, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand name Periactin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Erdafitinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Urothelial Carcinoma
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma
- CLL: Venetoclax Plus Rituximab Improves 2-Year PFS
- Confronting Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Survival Outcomes
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma