Generic Name and Formulations:
Liothyronine sodium 5mcg, 25mcg, 50mcg; tabs.
Indications for CYTOMEL:
Hypothyroidism: initially 25mcg daily; may increase by up to 25mcg every 1–2 weeks; usual maintenance 25–75mcg daily. Myxedema, simple goiter: initially 5mcg daily; may increase by 5–10mcg daily every 1–2 weeks to 25mcg daily, then may increase by 5–25mcg every 1–2 weeks (myxedema) or by 12.5 or 25mcg daily every 1–2 weeks (simple goiter). Maintenance: myxedema: 50–100mcg/day; simple goiter: 75mcg/day.
Initially 5mcg daily; may increase by 5mcg daily every 3–4 days. Cretinism: maintenance dose: <1yr: 20mcg/day. 1–3 yrs: 50mcg/day. >3yrs: as adult.
Initially 5mcg daily; may increase by 5mcg every 1–2 weeks.
Uncorrected adrenocortical insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis.
Not for treatment of obesity or infertility (unless with hypothyroidism). Cardiovascular disease, angina, elderly: use lower initial dose. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Diabetes. Monitor for craniosynostosis in infants. Pregnancy (Cat.A). Nursing mothers.
Monitor oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics, digoxin. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. Monitor for hypertension with ketamine. Toxicity with larger doses of sympathomimetics (eg, anorectics).
Hyperthyroidism, transient hair loss in children.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Opioid Prescription Protocol Decreases Opioid Use After Gynecologic Surgery
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole May Be Active in Recurrent Endometrial Carcinoma
- Affordable Care Act Increased Percentage of Insured Patients With Gynecologic Cancers
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML