Generic Name and Formulations:
Metyrosine 250mg; caps.
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
Indications for DEMSER:
Treatment of pheochromocytoma for: preoperative preparation for surgery; or management when surgery is contraindicated. Chronic treatment in malignant pheochromocytoma.
Initially 250mg 4 times daily; may increase by 250–500mg daily up to max 4g/day in divided doses. Usual dose: 2–3g/day; monitor. If hypertensive, titrate dose to normalize BP and control symptoms; if normotensive, titrate dose to reduce urinary metanephrines and/or vanillylmandelic acid by ≥50%. Add an α-blocker (eg, phenoxybenzamine) if patients not adequately controlled. Pre-op prep: treat for at least 5–7 days.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Maintain adequate hydration; if crystalluria occurs, increase more fluids; if crystalluria persists, reduce dose or discontinue. Pre-op use: maintain adequate intravascular volume intra- and postoperatively. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Tyrosine hydroxylase inhibitor.
Increased CNS effects with alcohol, other CNS depressants (eg, hypnotics, sedatives, tranquilizers). Potentiates extrapyramidal effects of phenothiazines, haloperidol.
Sedation, diarrhea, extrapyramidal effects, anxiety, CNS disturbances, crystalluria; rare: hematological disorders.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Beyond BRCA: New Predisposition Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers
- Despite Promising Trial Results, Skeptics Raise Red Flags About Anlotinib's Efficacy in Heavily Treated NSCLC
- Higher Risk of MGUS in Relatives of Patients With Multiple Myeloma Confirmed
- Brentuximab Vedotin Combo Active in Older Patients With Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Prostate Cancer Drug Resistance Mediated by Epigenetic Changes
- Nilotinib and Dasatinib Confer Similar Outcomes for Chronic-Phase CML