Generic Name and Formulations:
Deferoxamine mesylate 250mg/mL; for inj after reconstitution.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for DESFERAL:
Acute iron intoxication. Chronic iron overload due to multiple transfusions.
Adults and Children:
Routes other than IM: see literature. <3yrs: not recommended. ≥3yrs: acute iron toxicity: 1g IM initially followed by 500mg every 4 hours for 2 doses; repeat every 4–12 hours if needed; max 6g/day. Chronic iron overload: see literature.
Severe renal disease. Anuria.
Ocular or auditory disturbances. Perform visual acuity tests, slit-lamp exams, funduscopy and audiometry with prolonged therapy. High doses in patients with low ferritin levels may retard growth. Acute respiratory distress syndrome with high IV doses. Flushing, urticaria, hypotension, and shock if given rapid IV. Monitor changes in renal function. Discoloration of urine. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Possible impairment of cardiac function with concomitant high dose Vit. C; give max adult dose: 200mg in divided doses. May cause temporary impairment of consciousness with prochlorperazine.
Iron chelating agent.
Localized skin reactions, hypersensitivity, tachycardia, hypotension, shock, dysuria, leg cramps, fever, GI upset; increased serum creatinine, acute renal failure, renal tubular disorder; rare: Yersinia infections, mucormycosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Confronting Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Survival Outcomes
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma