Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as dextran complex) 50mg/mL; soln for IV inj.
American Regent, Inc.
Indications for DEXFERRUM:
Iron deficiency where oral therapy is unsatisfactory or impossible.
Adults and Children:
<4months: not recommended. Give by IV inj. Administer 0.5mL test dose first; if no signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, may give full therapeutic dose. ≥4months: Iron deficiency anemia: determine total dose based on hemoglobin and body weight (see literature). Iron replacement for blood loss: Replacement iron (in mg) = blood loss (in mL) X hematocrit. Max daily doses: <5kg: 0.5mL (25mg), <10kg: 1mL (50mg), ≥10kg: 2mL (100mg).
Anemia not associated with iron deficiency.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, esp. in patients with history of allergies, asthma; have epinephrine available. Hepatic impairment. Avoid during acute phase of infectious kidney disease. Cardiovascular disease. Avoid large IV doses: higher incidence of adverse events. Iron overload more likely with hemoglobinopathies or refractory anemias. Rheumatoid arthritis. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant ACE inhibitors may increase the risk for anaphylactic-type reactions. May falsely elevate serum bilirubin and decrease serum calcium.
See full labeling. Anaphylactic reactions (may be fatal, even in patients who tolerated test dose), cardiovascular events, pruritus, GI upset, arthralgia, arthritis, inj site reactions, others.
Single-dose vials (1mL, 2mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma — In the Clinic
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- 5α-Reductase Inhibitors Do Not Increase Risk of High-Grade Prostate Cancer
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy