Generic Name and Formulations:
Prasugrel 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Daiichi Sankyo and Lilly
Indications for EFFIENT:
To reduce risk of thrombotic cardiovascular events (including stent thrombosis) in patients with acute coronary syndrome who are to be managed with percutaneous coronary intervention (patients with unstable angina (UA) or non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI); patients with ST-elevation MI (STEMI) when managed with either primary or delayed PCI).
Loading dose: 60mg once. Maintenance: 10mg once daily. <60kg: consider 5mg once daily. Take with aspirin (75mg–325mg daily).
Active pathological bleeding (eg, peptic ulcer, intracranial hemorrhage). Prior TIA or stroke. Do not start if patient likely to undergo urgent CABG.
≥75yrs: usually not recommended. Weight <60kg, or CABG or other surgery or trauma, recent or recurrent GI bleeding, severe hepatic dysfunction, moderate-to-severe renal impairment: increased risk of bleeding. Discontinue 7 days before surgery, and if TIA or stroke occurs. Premature discontinuation increases risk for cardiac events (eg, stent thrombosis, MI, death). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Increased bleeding risk with heparin, warfarin, fibrinolytics, chronic NSAID use.
P2Y12 platelet inhibitor (thienopyridine).
Bleeding (may be fatal), hyper- or hypotension, hyperlipidemia, headache, back pain, GI upset, dizziness, cough, chest pain, atrial fibrillation, leukopenia; rare: thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, thrombocytopenia, anemia, abnormal hepatic function, allergic reactions, angioedema.
Tabs 5mg—7, 30; 10mg—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma — In the Clinic
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- 5α-Reductase Inhibitors Do Not Increase Risk of High-Grade Prostate Cancer
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy