Older Patients with Stage 1 Thyroid Cancer Paradoxically Show Better Survival
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Older patients with stage 1 differentiated thyroid cancer (DTC) paradoxically show better survival than expected based on age and sex, according to a German study published in the Journal of Nuclear Medicine.
Researchers from the University Hospital Münster analyzed 2,428 patients with DTC who underwent treatment from 1965 to 2013 in order to compare overall survival with the general population. Subgroup analysis was also performed in regard to age at diagnosis, with overall survival compared with expected survival in the general population.
The researchers found that overall survival of patients with stage 1 disease was paradoxically better in patients with DTC compared with expected survival. Upon subgroup analysis, they found a significantly lower mortality rate in elderly patients aged 60 or older with stage 1 disease.
However, patients who were between the ages of 20 to 45 who had distant metastases at diagnosis had a significantly increased mortality rate, and other patients with stage 2 disease had normal mortality.
“For all other DTC patients regardless of age or TNM stage, no significant survival difference was seen,” the authors concluded.
Older patients with stage 1 DTC paradoxically show better survival than expected based on age and sex.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
- Clinical Applications of Liquid Biopsies in Cancer
- Radical Prostatectomy Compared With Watchful Waiting in Localized Prostate Cancer
- Two-Drug Combination Superior to Sunitinib in Patients With Untreated Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Investigational Antiandrogen Drug Delays Metastasis in CRPC
- Patients With CP-CML Deemed Less Likely to Continue Taking Generic Imatinib
- Opinion: Understanding the FDA's Take on Cannabidiol
- High IDO1 Tumor Expression May Predict Poor Overall Survival in Patients With Anal Cancer
- Ambient Benzene Exposure and Risk of Hematologic Malignancies
- Tivozanib Offers Superior Outcomes in Refractory Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma