A clinical trial found a potential marker to identify the patients with advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma who were most likely to respond to nivolumab.
The study was halted when patient response rates were lower than those seen across a similar trial involving the drug.
The addition of an EGFR inhibitor to a chemotherapy regimen did not improve outcomes when it came to cancers of the esophagus.
Findings on the predictive nature of nodal response to neoadjuvant therapy from the American Association for Thoracic Surgery 98th Annual Meeting.
Find the latest cancer treatment regimens for esophageal and esophagogastric junction cancers, including drugs such as ECF, cisplatin, and 5-FU.
1. Hot tea consumption in combination with excessive smoking or alcohol use was associated with a higher risk for esophageal cancer. 2. In the absence of excessive alcohol use and smoking, daily tea drinking was not linked to increased risk for esophageal cancer. Evidence Rating Level: 1 (Excellent) Study Rundown: Esophageal cancer is a concern 
Researchers evaluated the outcomes of 453 patients with stage I to III esophageal cancer who received definitive or preoperative chemoradiation.
The relative effects of FLOT were demonstrable in all subgroups, and was pronounced numerically in patients with Barrett tumors, small tumors T1/2, nodal negative tumors, and Siewert type 1 esophageal tumors.
Volatile Organic Compounds and Esophageal Cancer: Understanding the Implications for Diagnosis and TreatmentSeptember 08, 2017
While utilization of VOCs in the early detection of esophageal cancer has shown promise, future studies should aim at determining which VOCs would be the most specific in diagnosing GI malignancies.
Though a longer overall survival was observed in patients who received pertuzumab plus trastuzumab and chemotherapy, it was not statistically significant.
Neoadjuvant Cisplatin, Epirubicin, and Capecitabine vs Cisplatin and Fluorouracil for Esophageal CancerAugust 07, 2017
Increasing the intensity and duration of neoadjuvant chemotherapy with ECX did not improve survival compared with CF among patients with esophageal adenocarcinoma.
For this study, patients will receive pembrolizumab monotherapy or investigator's choice of paclitaxel, docetaxel, or irinotecan.
Bevacizumab is not recommended in conjunction with perioperative chemotherapy for patients with esophageal adenocarcinoma.
Altering chemotherapy during neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy based on response to induction chemotherapy by PET imaging can improve pathologic complete response.
Study authors conclude that FLOT should be an internationally standard option for patients with resectable gastric cancer.
Some data suggest esophageal cancer may be more common among patients diagnosed with achalasia, but there are no relevant screening guidelines.
Adding chemoradiotherapy prior to surgery improves survival versus surgery alone in patients with locally advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (SCC).
Among patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma, neoadjuvant treatment with docetaxel, cisplatin, and fluorouracil (DCF) improves survival.
The number of known risk loci for Barrett's esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma has doubled.
VSIG10L may be a susceptibility gene for familial syndrome of esophageal adenocarcinoma and Barrett esophagus.
While differences in efficacy between the 3 backbone regimens were nonsignificant, FOLFOX was the best tolerated of tested regimens.
The addition of radiotherapy to neoadjuvant chemotherapy improved histological complete response rate.
For patients with esophageal cancer, venous thromboembolism (VTE) is a risk factor for recurrence.
Those with clinically staged node-negative (cN-) tumors do not derive a significant overall survival benefit vs surgery alone.
Divorce, widowhood, living alone, low educational attainment, and low income increase the risk of each subtype of esophageal and gastric cancer.
Older and younger patients have similar health-related quality of life after esophagectomy for esophageal cancer.
The extent of lymphadenectomy during surgery for esophageal cancer might not influence 5-year all-cause or disease-specific survival.
Neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy improves overall survival when added to surgery in esophageal or esophagogastric junctional cancer.
Persistent esophageal cancer after definitive chemoradiotherapy has poorer survival when compared with recurrent cancer.
Symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux disease (sGERD) and other factors increase the risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- CAR-T Trial for Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Under Way
- Daratumumab Combination: New Standard of Care in Transplant-Ineligible Multiple Myeloma
- Adjuvant Trastuzumab Emtansine Confers Improved Outcome in KATHERINE Trial
- Phase 3 GEICAM/CIBOMA Results: Adjuvant Capecitabine in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer
- Extension of Adjuvant Anastrozole Regimen to 10 Years Yields Higher DFS, but Not OS
- Selinexor Trials Move Nuclear Suppressor Protein-Export Inhibition Closer to the Clinic for Multiple Myeloma
- Younger Breast Cancer Patients at Higher Risk for Osteoporosis
- Molecular Mechanisms Underlying Immunosurveillance in Multiple Myeloma Identified
- Gly101Val Mutation Directly Causes Resistance to Venetoclax
- Can Treatments for Childhood ALL Alter the Gut Microbiome?