Expertscape, a web platform that used the PubMed database and its patented algorithm to identify and objectively rank physicians and researchers that excel in the treatment and diagnosis of specific disease states, has released their rankings for U.S. physicians who specialize in the research and treatment of colorectal cancer.
Using Expertscape’s rigorous process, Douglas Rex, M.D., of Indiana University, is the top colorectal cancer expert in the United States. As part of a longer interview conducted last August, Dr Rex spoke about the importance of early diagnosis. “Colon cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in the U.S., which is tragic because the disease is largely preventable. The biggest obstacle to success that we have is that screening rates in the U.S. have plateaued at a little over 60%. If you are over 50, and some would now say over 45, and you haven’t been screened for colon cancer, you should ask yourself and your primary care provider: why not?”
Right now, Dr Rex is particularly focused on colonoscopy quality. “I am engaged in clinical trials on products designed to make the bowel cleansing prior to colonoscopy more tolerable. People who have had a colonoscopy usually say the worst part of it was ingesting the bowel preparation,” he said. “Much of my practice is in complex colonoscopy, i.e. large polyp resection, completing colonoscopy in patients with previous incomplete examinations, and patients with heavy polyp burdens.”
The following 10 physicians have dedicated tremendous time, energy, and commitment to advance our understanding and treatment of colorectal cancer, and we are privileged to recognize and celebrate their individual and collective contribution to this disease and its therapies.
Top Ten U.S. Specialists in Colorectal Cancer
- Douglas Rex, M.D., Indiana University Indianapolis
- Heinz-Josef Lenz, M.D., University of Southern California
- David Lieberman, M.D., Oregon Health Sciences University
- Axel Grothey, M.D., West Cancer Center, University of Tennessee
- Jason Dominitz, M.D., University of Washington
- Scott Kopetz, M.D., MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Clement Bolan, M.D., University of California San Diego
- Edward Giovannucci, M.D., Harvard School of Public Health
- Tonya Kaltenbach, M.D., University of California San Francisco
- Douglas Robertson, M.D., Dartmouth Medical School
Expertscape is part of the Haymarket Medical Network and this article is supplied as a free resource for referring physicians enabling them to easily find knowledgeable medical expertise when faced with a serious diagnosis or complicated health issues. To learn more or to find experts in other diseases, visit Expertscape.