Expertscape, a platform for discovering physicians excelling in the treatment and diagnosis of specific disease states, has released their rankings for US physicians who specialize in lung cancer.
Using Expertscape’s patented algorithm, Suresh Ramalingham, MD, of Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, topped the list. Among his many publications in 2020, Ramalingham published a paper on treatment guidelines during the COVID-19 pandemic.1 Among the findings outlined in this paper is “The risk of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection in patients with cancer seems to be higher, especially as they are more likely to present with an immunocompromised condition, either from cancer itself or from the treatments they receive. A major consideration in the delivery of cancer care during the pandemic is to balance the risk of patient exposure and infection with the need to provide effective cancer treatment.”
Also of note, Alice Shaw, MD, PhD, of Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, has contributed substantially to the treatment of lung cancer, including a 2020 paper on access to clinical trials.2
The following 10 physicians have dedicated enormous time, energy, and commitment to advance our understanding and treatment of lung cancer, and we are pleased to have the opportunity to celebrate their individual and collective contribution to medicine and cancer therapies.
Top Ten U.S. Physicians, Lung Cancer
- Suresh Ramalingam, MD, Emory University
- Alice Shaw, MD, PhD, Massachusetts General Hospital
- D. Ross Camidge, MD, PhD, University of Colorado Denver-Anschutz
- Pasi Jänne, MD, PhD, Dana Farber Cancer Center
- Mark Socinski, MD, Florida Hospital Orlando
- Ramaswamy Govindan, MD, Washington University
- Lecia Vandam Sequist, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Michael Gould, MD, MS, Kaiser Los Angeles
- Sai-Hong Ou, MD, PhD, University of California Irvine
- William Travis, MD, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Expertscape is part of the Haymarket Medical Network and this article is supplied as a free resource for referring physicians enabling them to easily find knowledgeable medical expertise when faced with a serious diagnosis or complicated health issues. To learn more or to find Experts in other diseases, visit Expertscape.
- Dingemans AMC, Soo RA, Jazieh AR, et al. Treatment guidance for patients with lung cancer during the coronavirus 2019 pandemic. J Thorac Oncol. 2020;15(7):1119-1136. doi:10.1016/j.jtho.2020.05.001
- Forde PM, Bonomi P, Shaw A, et al. Expanding access to lung cancer clinical trials by reducing the use of restrictive exclusion criteria: perspectives of a multistakeholder working group. Clin Lung Cancer. 2020;21(4):295-307. doi:10.1016/j.cllc.2020.02.008