Generic Name and Formulations:
Flumazenil 0.1mg/mL; IV inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Flumazenil:
Reversal of benzodiazepine sedative effects in overdose, general anesthesia or conscious sedation.
Overdose: Give dose over 30 seconds by IV infusion. Initially: 0.2mg. After 30 seconds (if needed), 0.3mg. Then 0.5mg at 60 second intervals up to 3mg cumulative dose. Usual range: 1–3mg. If partial response occurs at 3mg cumulative dose, may titrate up to 5mg cumulative dose. Conscious sedation, general anesthesia, resedation: see full labeling.
<1yr: not recommended. 1–17yrs: for reversal of benzodiazepine-induced conscious sedation only. See full labeling.
Patients treated with benzodiazepines for life threatening conditions. Mixed overdose patients when seizures likely (esp. cyclic antidepressants).
Monitor for resedation (at least 2hrs), respiratory depression, other residual benzodiazepine effects, seizures. Seizure disorders or risk. Drug or alcohol dependence. Head injury. Panic disorder. Hepatic disease. Counsel on post-procedure period (see full labeling). Labor & delivery: not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid use until neuromuscular blockade reversed. Avoid alcohol, sedatives for 18–24hrs after treatment. Potentiates toxicity of cyclic antidepressant or mixed drug overdose.
Seizures, local reactions, dizziness, increased sweating, headache, blurred vision, GI upset, agitation, benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Erdafitinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Urothelial Carcinoma
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy