Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluphenazine HCl 1mg, 2.5mg, 5mg+, 10mg; tabs; +contains tartrazine.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Fluphenazine:
Initially: 2.5–10mg daily in 3–4 divided doses; max 40mg daily.
Initially 1–2.5mg daily in 3–4 divided doses; max 40mg daily.
Coma. CNS or bone marrow depression. Liver disease. Subcortical brain damage. Blood dyscrasias.
Cardiovascular or renal disease. Pheochromocytoma. Seizures. Glaucoma. History of breast cancer. Exposure to extreme heat or organophosphates. Gradually reduce to lowest effective maintenance dose. Monitor blood, liver, renal, and ocular function. Mental retardation. Surgery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates anticholinergics, CNS depression with alcohol and other CNS depressants; both drugs with propranolol. Antagonized by anticholinergics. Decreased guanethidine effects. May cause false (+) pregnancy test.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic and other autonomic effects, insomnia, restlessness, rash, photosensitivity, tardive dyskinesia, blood dyscrasias, jaundice, pneumonia, hypertension, retinopathy, lowered seizure threshold, extrapyramidal reactions, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, weight changes, endocrine effects.
Formerly known under the brand names Prolixin (tabs, concentrate, elixir, inj); Permitil (tabs, concentrate); Prolixin Decanoate (decanoate inj).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Managing Immune-Related Adverse Events
- PD-1/PD-L1 Inhibitors May Increase the Risk of Hyperprogressive Disease in NSCLC
- Predicting Response to Immunotherapy in Late-Stage Melanoma
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- A Simplified Dose Schedule of Cetuximab as a Maintenance Therapy in Head and Neck Cancer May Reduce Drug Toxicities
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Transplant Status May Affect CAR-T Therapy Outcomes in CLL and B-ALL
- Study Zeroes in on Cause of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Beyond BRCA: New Predisposition Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline