Survival Biliary Tract Cancer Treated with Cediranib, Cisplatin and Gemcitabine
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Patients diagnosed with advanced biliary tract cancer who were administered cediranib had more grade 3 to 4 toxic effects compared to those who received a placebo, according to an article published online in the journal The Lancet Oncology.
Participants in this study included patients with histologically or cytologically confirmed advanced biliary tract cancer, an ECOG performance status of 0 to 1, and a life expectancy estimate of more than 3 months.
The patients were given cisplatin and gemcitabine chemotherapy (25 mg/m2 and 1,000 mg/m2, respectively) at baseline for up to eight cycles, and then they were either administered 20 mg oral cediranib or placebo once daily until disease progression.
Results showed 62 patients received oral cediranib and 62 patients were administered placebo (from April 2, 2011, to Sept. 28, 2012).
Patients’ median follow-up time was 12.2 months (IQR 7.3, 18.5). In the cediranib cohort, median progression-free survival was 8.0 months (95% CI: 6.5, 9.3), compared to 7.4 months (5.7, 8.5) in the placebo cohort (HR, 0.93; 80% CI: 0.74, 1.19; 95% CI: 0.65, 1.35; P=0.72).
Furthermore, patients who were administered cediranib experienced more grade 3 to 4 toxic adverse effects compared to those in the placebo cohort, including hypertension (23 [37%] vs. 13 [21%]; P=0.05), diarrhea (eight [13%] vs. two [3%]; P=0.05); decreased platelet count (10 [16%] vs. four [6%]; P=0.09), decreased white blood cell (15 [24%] vs. seven [11%]; P=0.06) and fatigue (16 [24%] vs. seven [11%]; P=0.04).
Biliary tract cancer treated with cediranib had more grade 3 to 4 toxic effects compared to those who received a placebo.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Apalutamide Does Not Diminish Quality of Life in Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Chemotherapy Plays a Role in Skeletal Muscle Atrophy in Patients With Breast Cancer
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Lenalidomide Induces Immunity, Produces Clinical Response in CLL
- Comorbidities Signal Worse Outcomes in CLL After Targeted Treatment
- Using ctDNA to Predict Cancer Recurrence and Guide Therapy Selection
- Immune-Related Adverse Events Due to Checkpoint Inhibition Are More Common in Melanoma Than in NSCLC
- Potential Diagnostic Tool Detects BCR-ABL1 mRNA in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia