Surgical Resection Improves Survival in BCLC Stage C Hepatocellular Carcinoma
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Surgical resection provides significantly better long-term survival compared to transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) in patients with advanced Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer (BCLC) stage C hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), according to a study published in the Journal of Surgical Oncology.
Taiwanese researchers led by Po-Hong Lui, MD, of the Taipei Veterans General Hospital examined patients being treated for their HCC, 264 with surgical resection and 389 with TACE. Among these patients, 163 matched pairs were identified from each arm by propensity score analysis in order to compare long-term survival.
They found that the group that underwent surgical resection had better liver function reserve than the TACE group, and demonstrated better long-term survival. After matched propensity modeling, baseline characteristics were similar between the two groups.
In addition, with Cox proportional modeling, patients who underwent TACE had an increased risk of mortality compared to those who underwent surgical resection.
“Multidisciplinary approaches for these patients and further amendments to the BCLC classification scheme are required,” the authors concluded.
Surgical resection provides better survival compared to transarterial chemoembolization in hepatocellular carcinoma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Bowel Preparation for Colorectal Cancer Screening: Improving Outcomes
- Tool for Assessing Frailty Predicts Survival in Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma
- Analysis Supports Flat Dose of Nivolumab 480 mg Every 4 Weeks
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Treatment Delays May Mean Worse Survival in Head and Neck Cancer
- New Combo for Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Shows Activity In Vitro
- Age-adjusted Comorbidity Predicts Survival in Laryngeal Cancer
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Role of miR-125a-5p Clarified in Bladder Cancer