Lenalidomide Shows Promising Activity for Second-Line Hepatocellular Cancer
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Lenalidomide is an immunomodulatory agent with antiangiogenic and antineoplastic properties, inhibiting fibroblast growth factor (FGF) and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). Recent studies have found that FGF is an important growth factor in hepatocellular cancer (HCC).
Patients with HCC are initially treated with sorafenib, but there is no standard of care for patients who progress after the use of sorafenib. Investigators conducted a study to assess the activity and toxicity of lenalidomide for second-line HCC.
There were 40 patients in the study with advanced HCC who progressed on sorafenib and they were treated with lenalidomide on days 1-21 of a 28-day cycle until disease progression or unacceptable toxicities.
Patients were classified according to the Child-Pugh score: Child-Pugh A (n=19); Child-Pugh B (n= 16); Child-Pugh (n=5). Extrahepatic disease was seen in 17 patients, and grade 4 neutropenia was seen in one patient (2.5%).
The most common nonhematologic toxicity attributable to lenalidomide was grade 3 fatigue (n=3) and rash (n=4). Among the 40 patients, 6 patients (15%) had radiographic partial response and two patients (5%) had not progressed at 36 and 32 months. The median progression-free survival was 3.6 months and the median overall survival was 7.6 months.
Overall, the authors concluded that lenalidomide is an acceptable treatment option for patients with advanced HCC and hepatic dysfunction.
The study results showed a promising and durable activity of lenalidomide in HCC, but more studies need to be conducted to explore its mechanism of action.
Fibroblast growth factor is an important growth factor in hepatocellular cancer.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Bowel Preparation for Colorectal Cancer Screening: Improving Outcomes
- Tool for Assessing Frailty Predicts Survival in Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma
- Analysis Supports Flat Dose of Nivolumab 480 mg Every 4 Weeks
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Treatment Delays May Mean Worse Survival in Head and Neck Cancer
- New Combo for Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Shows Activity In Vitro
- Age-adjusted Comorbidity Predicts Survival in Laryngeal Cancer
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Role of miR-125a-5p Clarified in Bladder Cancer