Linifanib Fails to Meet Overall Survival Endpoint for Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
According to a new study published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, linifanib and sorafenib had similar overall survival for the treatment of patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), while sorafenib was more safe.
For the open-label phase 3 study, researchers enrolled 1,035 patients with a median age of 60 years old with advanced HCC and randomly assigned them to receive linifanib 17.5mg orally once daily or sorafenib 400mg orally twice daily.
Linifanib is a novel, potent tyrosine kinase inhibitor currently under development by Abbott Laboratories. Of those enrolled, 66.6% were Asian, 65.2% had an ECOG performance score of 0, 49.1% had hepatitis B infection, and 70.1% had vascular invasion or extrahepatic spread.
Results showed a median overall survival of 9.1 months (95% CI: 8.1 - 10.2) with linifanib and 9.8 months (95% CI: 8.3 - 11.0; HR = 1.046; 95% CI: 0.896 - 1.221) with sorafenib. The median time to progression was found to be 5.4 months (95% CI: 4.2 - 5.6) and 4.0 months (95% CI: 2.8 - 4.2: HR = 0.759; 95% CI: 0.643 - 0.895; P = 0.001).
In addition, objective response rates were 13.0% in the linifanib group and 6.9% in the sorafenib group. In regard to safety, serious adverse effects were more common in the linifanib arm and were more likely to cause discontinuation and dose modification (P < 0.001).
Linifanib and sorafenib had similar overall survival for the treatment of advanced HCC.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Bowel Preparation for Colorectal Cancer Screening: Improving Outcomes
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Duvelisib Delayed Progression in CLL/SLL: Study
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Treatment Delays May Mean Worse Survival in Head and Neck Cancer
- New Combo for Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Shows Activity In Vitro
- Age-adjusted Comorbidity Predicts Survival in Laryngeal Cancer
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Role of miR-125a-5p Clarified in Bladder Cancer