Idarucizumab Reverses the Anticoagulant Effect of Dabigatran
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Administration of idarucizumab (an antibody fragment) was found to reverse the anticoagulant effect of dabigatran, according to an article published online in the journal The New England Journal of Medicine.
In this study, 90 patients were split into two groups: group A consisted of 51 patients with serious bleeding and group B was comprised of 39 patients who required an urgent procedure. The patients were administered 5 grams of intravenous idarucizumab in order to determine its capacity to reverse dabigatran’s anticoagulant effects.
Results showed the median maximum percentage of reversal was 100% (95% CI: 100, 100) in 68 patients with elevated dilute thrombin time and 81 patients with an elevated ecarin clotting time.
Idarucizumab immediately normalized test results in most patients (88% to 98%). Furthermore, 79% of patients had unbound dabigatran concentrations that remained below 20 nanogram per milliliter at 24 hours.
Hemostasis was restored at a median of 11.4 hours in 35 patients from group A who were able to be tested.
Similarly, 33 out of 36 patients from group B who underwent a surgical procedure had normal intraoperative hemostasis, two patients had a mildly abnormal hemostasis, and one patient had moderately abnormal hemostasis post-procedure.
One patient who did not have anticoagulants reinitiated experienced a thrombotic event within 72 hours after the administration of idarucizumab.
Administration of idarucizumab (an antibody fragment) was found to reverse the anticoagulant effect of dabigatran.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
- Clinical Applications of Liquid Biopsies in Cancer
- Two-Drug Combination Superior to Sunitinib in Patients With Untreated Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Investigational Antiandrogen Drug Delays Metastasis in CRPC
- Immunotherapy in Glioblastoma: Peaks and Pits
- Tivozanib Offers Superior Outcomes in Refractory Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- First-Line Pembrolizumab Shows Promise in Non-Clear Cell RCC
- Early Tumor Shrinkage With Cabozantinib Improves Survival in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Combo Superior to Sunitinib in Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Nivolumab-Ipilimumab Survival Benefit in Advanced RCC Confirmed