Understanding Financial Distress in Patients with Advanced Cancer
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
More than 30% of patients with advanced cancer (AdCa) reported more severe financial distress (FD) than physical, family, and emotional distress, according to an article published online in the journal The Oncologist.
In total, 149 patients were interviewed: 77 of which were at a comprehensive cancer center (CCC) and 72 of which were at a general public hospital (GPH). The median age of participants was 60 years (95% CI: 58.6, 61.5 years). Of the 149 participants, 74 (50%) were females.
Forty-eight (62%) of the 77 patients at a CCC and 13 out of 72 (18%) patients at a GPH were white, while 21 of 77 (27%) patients at CCC and 32 of 72 (38%) at GPH were black; and 7 of 77 (9%) versus 27 of 72 (38%) at CCC and GPH, respectively, were Hispanic (P<0.0001).
Results showed 65 out of 75 patients at CCC reported having FD (86%; 95% CI: 76%, 93%) compared to 65 out of 72 at GPH (90%; 95% CI: 81%, 96%; P=0.45).
AdCa reported suffering from more severe FD compared to physical distress (45 patients; 30%), distress concerning physical functioning (46 patients; 31%), social/family distress (64 patients; 43%), and emotional distress (55 patients; 37%) –all of which were significantly worse for patients at GPH; P<0.05.
Furthermore, the median score reported by AdCa regarding how much their FD was affecting their general well-being was 5 (IQR: 1-8).
More than 30% of patients with advanced cancer reported more severe financial distress than physical, family, and emotional distress.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Plastics and Cancer
- Cabozantinib Shows Promising Activity in Osteosarcoma and Ewing Sarcoma
- Real-World Study Shows High Response Rates to T-VEC in Early Metastatic Melanoma
- Using ctDNA to Predict Cancer Recurrence and Guide Therapy Selection
- Atezolizumab and Nab-Paclitaxel Prolonged PFS in Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer
- Infections in Primary Immune Thrombocytopenia Associated With Low Platelet Count
- Expert Panel Provides Recommendations for Running Trials on Intratumoral Immunotherapy
- Large Acute Myeloid Leukemia Dataset Could Help Identify Targeted Treatments
- Treatment of H. pylori Increased Platelet Count in ITP
- Reclassification of Variants of Uncertain Significance: A Q&A With Theodora Ross MD, PhD