Improved Treatment Decisions Linked to Geriatric Consultations
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Geriatric assessments provided aid in making treatment decisions for older patients with cancer, according to an article published online in the journal European Journal of Cancer Care.
In this study, the authors evaluated data on patients with cancer who were referred for geriatric consultation for clinical optimization or because of uncertainty regarding their optimal treatment strategy. The outcome of these geriatric evaluations, non-oncological interventions, and suggested treatment adaptations were also studied.
Participants included 72 patients who were referred for geriatric evaluation, over half of which were in a curative treatment setting.
Results showed the prevalence of geriatric syndromes was 93%. Almost half (49%) of patients had previously undiagnosed conditions identified and 56% of patients had non-oncological interventions initiated.
Patients discussed their priorities (53% of consultations), treatment expectations (50%), and advance care planning (14%).
Furthermore, 39% of patients were suggested to follow a more intensive optimal treatment, 42% were recommended a less intensive therapy, and 19% were recommended to solely follow supportive care.
Geriatric assessments provided aid in making treatment decisions for older patients with cancer.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Bowel Preparation for Colorectal Cancer Screening: Improving Outcomes
- Tool for Assessing Frailty Predicts Survival in Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma
- Analysis Supports Flat Dose of Nivolumab 480 mg Every 4 Weeks
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Treatment Delays May Mean Worse Survival in Head and Neck Cancer
- New Combo for Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Shows Activity In Vitro
- Age-adjusted Comorbidity Predicts Survival in Laryngeal Cancer
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Role of miR-125a-5p Clarified in Bladder Cancer