Improved Treatment Decisions Linked to Geriatric Consultations
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Geriatric assessments provided aid in making treatment decisions for older patients with cancer, according to an article published online in the journal European Journal of Cancer Care.
In this study, the authors evaluated data on patients with cancer who were referred for geriatric consultation for clinical optimization or because of uncertainty regarding their optimal treatment strategy. The outcome of these geriatric evaluations, non-oncological interventions, and suggested treatment adaptations were also studied.
Participants included 72 patients who were referred for geriatric evaluation, over half of which were in a curative treatment setting.
Results showed the prevalence of geriatric syndromes was 93%. Almost half (49%) of patients had previously undiagnosed conditions identified and 56% of patients had non-oncological interventions initiated.
Patients discussed their priorities (53% of consultations), treatment expectations (50%), and advance care planning (14%).
Furthermore, 39% of patients were suggested to follow a more intensive optimal treatment, 42% were recommended a less intensive therapy, and 19% were recommended to solely follow supportive care.
Geriatric assessments provided aid in making treatment decisions for older patients with cancer.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma