Prediagnostic Use of Warfarin No Effect on Mortality for Breast, Colorectal, Lung and Prostate Cancers
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Warfarin sodium is an oral anticoagulant that has been shown in pre-clinical studies to inhibit the spread of cancer cells, which could potentially prolong survival in cancer patients.
However, to date, no population-based studies have been performed to test the association between warfarin use and cancer-specific mortality. Therefore, researchers from Ireland looked at data from the UK Clinical Practice Research Datalink and constructed four population-based cohorts of patients with breast, colorectal, lung and prostate cancer who were diagnosed between January 1998 and December 2010, and compared pre-diagnostic warfarin users to non-users.
Overall, 16,525 breast, 12,902 colorectal, 12,296 lung, and 12,772 prostate cancers were included in the study, and the use of warfarin before being diagnosed with cancer ranged between 2.4% to 4.7%.
The researchers found little evidence of an association between warfarin use and cancer-specific mortality in any of the cohorts (prostate: adjusted hazard ratio [HR] = 1.03, 95 % CI: 0.84–1.26; lung adjusted HR = 1.06, 95 % CI: 0.96–1.16; breast adjusted HR = 0.81, 95 % CI: 0.62–1.07 and colorectal adjusted HR = 0.88, 95 % CI: 0.77–1.01).
The study did not look at low molecular weight heparins, which may be well tolerated with fewer bleeding complications compared with warfarin, and have also shown potential to improve cancer survival.
Warfarin sodium is an oral anticoagulant that has been shown to inhibit the spread of cancer cells.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Duvelisib Delayed Progression in CLL/SLL: Study
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Immune-Related Adverse Events Due to Checkpoint Inhibition Are More Common in Melanoma Than in NSCLC
- Potential Diagnostic Tool Detects BCR-ABL1 mRNA in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- BTK Inhibitor Zanubrutinib Appears Promising in Waldenström Macroglobulinemia
- Carfilzomib Regimens Offer a Neuropathy-Sparing Approach in Multiple Myeloma, WM
- Apalutamide Does Not Diminish Quality of Life in Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer