Generic Name and Formulations:
Miglitol 25mg, 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for GLYSET:
Adjunct to diet in type 2 diabetes, alone or with a sulfonylurea.
Take with the first bite of each main meal. Initially 25mg three times daily; may start at 25mg once daily (to minimize GI effects) and gradually increase to 25mg three times daily. Increase to 50mg three times daily after 4–8 weeks; usual max 100mg three times daily.
Ketoacidosis. Inflammatory bowel disease. Colonic ulceration. Partial intestinal obstruction or predisposition thereof. Chronic intestinal diseases associated with marked disorders of digestion or absorption. Conditions that may deteriorate from increased intestinal gas formation.
Significant renal dysfunction (serum creatinine >2mg/dL): not recommended. Use glucose, not sucrose, to treat hypoglycemia. Stress. Monitor 1-hour postprandial blood glucose initially and during titration then glycosylated hemoglobin. Pregnancy (Cat.B): consider using insulin instead. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antagonized by intestinal adsorbents (eg, charcoal), pancreatin, amylase, other carbohydrate-splitting enzymes. May decrease levels of ranitidine, propranolol. Risk of hypoglycemia with concomitant sulfonylureas or insulin; consider reducing dose of these.
Transient flatulence, diarrhea, abdominal pain; low serum iron.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Managing Immune-Related Adverse Events
- PD-1/PD-L1 Inhibitors May Increase the Risk of Hyperprogressive Disease in NSCLC
- Oncology Community Expresses Concern About Medicare Advantage Step-Therapy Policy
- Progressive Telomere Shortening: An Epigenetic Biomarker of Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- Predicting Response to Immunotherapy in Late-Stage Melanoma
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Two Independent Variables Found to Be Prognostic in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- Feasibility of Clinical Production of Autologous NKG2D CAR-T
- A Simplified Dose Schedule of Cetuximab as a Maintenance Therapy in Head and Neck Cancer May Reduce Drug Toxicities