In summary, multiple studies suggest a correlative relationship between diabetes and poor prognosis or increased risk of breast cancer; however, a cause-and-effect relationship is not clear. Nevertheless, available data and clinical experiences provide strong rationale for bringing internists and oncologists into the same room and including diabetes management as part of the breast cancer treatment program.
- Wilson E.B., Maher H.C.. Cancer and tuberculosis, with some comments on cancer and other diseases. Am J Cancer. 1932;16:227-250.
- Marble A. Diabetes and cancer. N Engl J Med. 1934;211(8):339-349.
- Chowdhury T.A. Diabetes and cancer. QJM. 2010;103(12):905-915.
- Wolf I, Sadetzki S., Catane R., et al. Diabetes mellitus and breast cancer. Lancet Oncol. 2005;6(2):103-111.
- Erickson K., Patterson R.E., Flatt S.W., et al. Clinically defined type 2 diabetes mellitus and prognosis in early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(1):54-60.
- Peairs K.S., Barone B.B., Snyder C.F., et al. Diabetes mellitus and breast cancer outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(1):40-46.
- DeCensi A., Gennari A. Insulin breast cancer connection: confirmatory data set the stage for better care. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(1):7-10.
- Ferguson R.D., Novosyadlyy R., Fierz Y., et al. Hyperinsulinemia enhances c-Myc-mediated mammary tumor development and advances metastatic progression to the lung in a mouse model of type 2 diabetes. Breast Cancer Res. 2012;14(1):R8.
- Ono M. Scripps Florida scientists uncover inflammatory circuit that triggers breast cancer. Findings point to potentially effective new therapeutic target for cancer treatment and prevention [online]. EurekAlert.org. February 23, 2012. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-02/sri-sfs022312.php. Accessed February 28, 2012.
- Sun G., Kashyap S.R. Cancer risk in type 2 diabetes mellitus: metabolic links and therapeutic considerations. J Nutr Metab. 2011;2011:708183.
- Irwin M.L., Duggan C., Wang C.Y., et al. Fasting C-peptide levels and death resulting from all causes and breast cancer: the health, eating, activity, and lifestyle study. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(1):47-53.
- Jiralerspong S., Palla S.L., Giordano S.H., et al. Metformin and pathologic complete responses to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in diabetic patients with breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(20):3297-3302.
- Beck S. Diabetes, diabetes drugs, and cancer risk: the potentials for prevention [online]. Cancer Network. June 8, 2011. http://www.cancernetwork.com/conference-reports/asco2011/content/article/10165/1874808. Accessed: February 13, 2012.
- Gonzalez-Angulo A.M., Meric-Bernstam F. Metformin: a therapeutic opportunity in breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16(6):1695-1700.
- Jung J.W., Park S.B., Lee S.J., et al. Metformin represses self-renewal of the human breast carcinoma stem cells via inhibition of estrogen receptor-mediated OCT4 expression. PLoS One. 2011;6(11):e28068.