What about the future? Oncologists and their teams are learning to deal with the perils and pitfalls of practicing in a new environment driven by high expectations, high technology, and low budgets. The oncology practitioners know that to be vigilant is to maintain good doctor-patient and team-team member communication, maintain follow-up, and keep good records in either old or new EHR formats. One future trend that may ultimately find its way into the medical and medico-legal armamentarium of the oncologist is a checklist which may help reduce the frequency of adverse events and errors. Mulligan concludes, “We are all human and we all make mistakes, and for this reason we will need things like checklists and systems in place, such as algorithms.”
1. Bazell R. New leukemia treatment exceeds the wildest expectations. MSNBC News website. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44090512/ns/health-cancer/. Accessed March 22, 2012.
2. Stark J. Cancer care and malpractice litigation: should I sue? 757 Good Health Blog website. http://www.bs757.com/2011/11/cancer-care-and-malpractice-litigation-should-i-sue/. Published November 14, 2011. Accessed March 21, 2012.
3. Dinitz M. Medical liability crisis threatens oncology community. Is it jeopardizing quality cancer care? Oncology Issues. September/October 2004;30-33.
4. Lee CG, LaFountain RC. Medical malpractice litigation in state courts. 2011;18:1-8. National Center for State Courts. Court Statistics Project website. www.courtstatistics.org. Accessed March 22, 2012.
5. Legant P. Oncologists and medical malpractice. J Oncol Pract. 2006;2(4):164-169,262.
6. Birner A.M., Bedell M.K., Avery J.T., Ernstoff M.S. Program to support safe administration of oral chemotherapy. J Oncol Pract. 2006;2(1):5-6.
7. Moore P. Oncology nursing: quo vadis? A 30-year perspective. Oncology News International. 2006;15:1-3. Cancer Network website. www.cancernetwork.com/display/article/10165/109053. Accessed March 21, 2012.
8. Majority Staff of the Committees on Energy and Commerce, Ways and Means, and Science and Technology, January 16, 2009. Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act or HITECH Act. http://waysandmeans.house.gov/media/pdf/110/hit2.pdf. Accessed March 21, 2012
9. Bender, F.F. Health law: “I’m sorry” laws and medical liability. American Medical Association Journal of Ethics. 2007;9(4):300-304. Virtual Mentor website. www.virtualmentor.org. Accessed March 21, 2012.